Monday, October 26, 2009

I gave myself the permission


The 1st attempt...

The baby who took 3 years to finally come to life... thanks to an indicible fear of messing up.. of not rendering the reality... you know... THE fear...


Well... After many thoughts and after an incredible afternoon talk with Laura Starkey (artist living in Merrickville, Ontario), I decided to try... I gave myself permission to make a mess and mistakes and turned my kitchen into a painting studio (cause my actual studio was too small to welcome a such thing). And got going... The kids were out with their other parent, Jay was with his band, jaming and Boots, alseep on a kitchen chair, looking at me like he wanted to say... don't you even dare...

I did....


and this is what happened on that sunday:
Remnants of Hurricane Katrina (yes, I lived there at the times)
Mix media with plastic bag, joint tape, metal hinges, screws, debris, safety pins etc. I first painted with a sandy color, then melted wax all over the paint. I glued pictures and papers clippings onto the canvas... It took me a few hours but the demons were out...
In honor of those who where not just fighting Mother nature at the time but a real messed up american system...
Mel


No comments:

Post a Comment